Samsung Stops Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Production
Samsung has permanently halted production and sales of its Galaxy Note 7 Smart phone after failing to correct a problem that was causing the devices to burst into flames.
The South Korean firm attempted to fix the problem by switching battery suppliers and updating the smartphone’s software. Company executives issued a slew of apologies, urging users to switch off the device. But when replacement phones were issued, a number of customers reported that those devices also caught fire, including one abroad a passenger jet.
The loss of one of its flagships smartphones is a major embarrassment for Samsung, which was forced to recall 2.5 million Note 7s shortly after the device went on sale in August.
Samsung has advised all customers to stop using the phones, sending its shares tumbling by 8% in Seoul. The world’s biggest smartphones maker said that it was killing off the phone entirely.
The Note 7 was a premium device that sold for at least $850 in the United States. It received strong reviews from critics, who heralded it as sleek and powerful. But customer excitement soon evaporated as safety concerns grew.
Samsung was panned for its response to the crisis- many customers were confused over whether their phone was safe, whether it should be returned and whether the electronics giant was offering a replacement.
Samsung told customers in South Korea on Tuesday that they will be able to exchange their Note 7 for another smartphone. The exchange program will begin on Thursday and run through the end of the year.
It was not immediately clear what customers in other markets could expect in terms of a replacement or compensation.
The Galaxy Note 7 was still on display-plugged in and powered on-in a Samsung store in London on Tuesday. Staff said they had been instructed not to sell the model.