Boko Haram Has Abducted More Than 1,000 children In Nigeria Since 2013 According To UNICEF
According to the United Nations children’s agency UNICEF, the Islamic fighters from Nigeria popularly known as Boko Haram group have abducted not more than 1,000 children in the northeast since 2013, the United Nations children’s agency UNICEF said on Friday.
“Children in northeastern Nigeria continue to come under attack at a shocking scale,” said Mohamed Malick Fall, UNICEF’s Nigeria head. The Boko Haram conflict is in its tenth year, but shows little sign of ending. In February, one faction kidnapped more than 100 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi, previously untouched by the war.
A month later, the militants returned almost all of those girls. About five died while in Boko Haram hands. One other, Leah Sharibu, remains captive because she refused to convert to Islam, her freed classmates have said.
Boko Haram in January released a video purporting to show some of the missing Chibok girls, saying they wish to remain with their captors.
The agency said it had documented more than 1,000 verified cases, the first time it had published an estimated tally. But the actual number could be much larger, it added.
Four years since the Chibok abduction, about 100 of the schoolgirls are unaccounted for. Some may be dead, according to testimony from the rescued girls and Boko Haram experts.
At least 2,295 teachers have been killed and more than 1,400 schools have been destroyed in the conflict, it added.